The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is convening the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD) 2016 in Bangkok on 3 to 5 April, 2016 as a preparatory event for the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) to be held under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council from 11 to 20 July 2016 at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
Since its inaugural session in 2014, the APFSD has fully engaged civil society, the private sector and other stakeholders. This year again, civil society organizations (CSOs) are invited to apply to participate in the following two events:
The Asia-Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development:
31 March – 2 April 2016 in Bangkok
The Asia-Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development will be convened by ESCAP in collaboration with Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD) on behalf of Asia Pacific Regional CSO Engagement Mechanism (AP-RCEM) as a preparatory event for the APFSD.
The Asia Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development will aim to:
- Inform and build the capacity of civil society participants to engage in sustainable development processes at the global and regional levels,
- Agree on joint actions and follow up to civil society positions adopted,
- Provide a space for civil society to dialogue on, and prepare strategies for engaging in the APFSD and upcoming regional events and influence decision-making process, and
- Strengthen the outreach and effectiveness of the Asia Pacific Regional CSO Engagement Mechanisms (AP-RCEM)
Application to participate in this civil society preparatory event is strongly recommended for those seeking to attend the APFSD. Civil society organizations can also seek to attend the APFSD as part of their national delegations.
3 – 5 April 2016 at Bangkok
As the first regional forum to be convened on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in September 2015, the APFSD 2016 will play a key role in shaping the region’s response to this ambitious and transformative development agenda. The APFSD 2016 will:
- engage member States, United Nations institutions and other institutions, major groups and other stakeholders on regional priorities for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific, reflecting ESCAP’s mandate for follow up and review,
- address scientific and technological innovation for sustainable development and focus attention on urbanization through discussion on achieving Sustainable Development Goal 11 in the region,
- strengthen the response to the 2030 Agenda through a regional road map for implementing the Agenda, and
- agree on the APFSD’s form, function and modalities after 2016.
The outcome documents of the Forum will inform the global debate at the HLPF and guide the regional response to the 2030 Agenda.
Target group and accreditation
Priority will be given to civil society organizations and nominees meeting the following criteria:
- Accredited to, or having consultative status with the United Nations (consultative or similar status with the UN including ECOSOC list, CSD Roster, and UNEP or other UN- related organization)
- Regional or subregional scope of mandate
- Demonstrated expertise and experience related to sustainable development
Please note that no more than 2 persons may be accepted from the same organization if a high volume of applications is received. Funding which includes airfare, accommodation and modest daily subsistence allowance (DSA) will be available for a limited number of organizations through ESCAP’s collaborating partners. This year will include discussions on issues related to water and sanitation, inequality, science, technology and innovation, urbanization, statistics and data and follow-up and review. Civil society colleagues who have experience in these issues are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Submit the application form online (click here) by latest 28 February 2016. It should be noted that participation in the Asia-Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development is strongly recommended for those seeking to attend the APFSD. Application forms will be reviewed by ESCAP in consultation with the Asia Pacific Regional CSO Engagement Mechanism against the selection criteria above and to ensure balance in geographic representation, mandate, gender, major groups and other stakeholders, and diversity in areas of expertise. Notification on the status of the applications will be sent by 15 March 2015 and successful applicants will receive an acceptance letter. This acceptance letter will be necessary for participation in any of the meetings mentioned above on confirmation of organizational credentials.
For more information
- On the regional sustainable development process:
o APFSD 2016: www.unescap.org/events/apfsd3/
o APFSD 2015: www.unescap.org/events/apfsd2/
o APFSD 2014: www.unescap.org/events/apfsd/
o Asia Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development 2016: (link to be provided)
o Asia Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development 2015:
o Asia Pacific Civil Society Forum on Sustainable Development 2014:
- On the global process regarding the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development:
3 Organizations without formal accreditation with the UN can indicate in the application form the name of an organization with formal accreditation that would be willing to support its application (proof to be provided).
o Major groups: http://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/index.php?menu=1564
o The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: